Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Time to Replace The Old Pillows

This past week I was inspired to dive into the depths of my linen and bedroom closets.  Cleaning and getting rid of all that dust and all those things I hadn't used or thought of in the past year.
So after picking up a great deal on a pair of 100% Organic Cotton Pillows that could actually be washed on a regular basis without getting lumpy (it's about time).  I was finally able to get rid of those old pillows I had decorating my bed and that only actually got used occasionally for sleeping on.
When I stopped and thought about it, I realized that I had had them at least 8 years. Yikes!!  I know, I know, but at least I use pillow protectors right?

There are lots of options for pillows these days, everything from Polyester, Cotton, Wool, (cotton and wool are good for those with multiple chemical sensitivities), Natural Latex (which is resistant to dust mites), Feather, Hypodown , Down Alternative, Silk, Buckwheat, as well as various types of foam pillows.

In my research it's regularly recommended that we replace regular/standard pillows anywhere from every 6 months to 2 years.
Um ok, but does anyone actually know anyone who really does this?  I think most of us only think of replacing our pillows when they are no longer comfortable, or they become stained or damaged in some way.

So when do you know you need a knew pillow?
Use the fold test.  When you fold a non foam pillow in half and release it it should spring back to its previous shape.  If it doesn't its time for a new one.
As for foam pillows you will need to replace it when it's lost it's ability to bounce back into place.

If you searching for tips to finding the right pillow check out this helpful site allergyconsumerreview.com .



Sources:
http://www.backdesigns.com/How-often-should-a-bed-pillow-be-replaced.aspx
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/10/should-throw-away-my-pillows
http://www.allergyconsumerreview.com/pillows-allergy-bedding.html#sthash.SkkKfA3f.dpbs

Comments

Popular Posts