Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

DIY Bathroom Storage

 I have a small bathroom with some layout and storage issues. Previously, I had some small narrow white shelves in my bathroom but even though they were narrow they still got in the way.  But after making my bed headboard using Trones storage cabinets from Ikea ( DIY Headboard With Storage, Blog Post, Published July 27, 2020) I thought maybe I could use them for storage in the bathroom too.  

The cabinet sits almost half an inch over the unused electric heater
The cabinet sits almost half an inch over the unused electric heater.

I have a small electric heater in the middle of the wall that I have never actually turned on, so it never gets used. (It's actually taped off so it can't be accidentally turned on.) It's also in the way of anything at all that goes along that wall and since it's smack dab in the middle it makes things awkward to work around. So I thought if I could find the right size furniture legs to use I could place the cabinet over the heater to save even more space. After measuring, searching and pricing things out I ended up finding some legs that were just the right height (and they just happened to be on sale, which totally made my day!).

Since I wanted to be able to re-purpose these cabinets I decided to use some heavy duty Command strips that I already had to attach the four furniture legs to the bottom of one of the Trones cabinets. I used the large 16 pound strips, three per leg on the white plates that attached to the legs and then to the bottom of the cabinet.  Once those were securely attached I stacked the second Trones cabinet on top and secured the top cabinet with command hooks on the wall to add stability without damaging the wall.  Then to finish it off I added four white peel and stick hooks to the side of the cabinets facing the tub and shower.

Now there is more room (at least another foot in width) to move in my little bathroom but I actually have more storage than I did before. It looks less cluttered and everything is within easy reach.  

      

Not only do I have more storage space inside the cabinets but I also have a place to put things on top as well as hang on the four hooks on the one side. It also just happens to make cleaning easier and faster since most of the storage is no longer on open shelves. Yahh....less dusting for me!

Also if I need to I can remove the legs and the hooks on the side without damaging the cabinets and reuse them again in anyway I need or want to. 

I really do like having multiple options and uses for things. I've moved around a lot in my life and things like this makes any changes easier and less expensive in the long run.









Comments

Popular Posts