Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Masks, Glasses And Sensitive Skin.

Just like anyone else who wears glasses and a face mask these days I deal with the inevitable fogging up issues every time I wear a mask. Since I have sensitive skin I was careful to stick to gentle fabrics and generally chose cotton. Staying away from wool, synthetic fibers, polyester and spandex which can not only cause irritation, but flair ups of rosacea and eczema in some people. I also make sure to regularly wash them with a gentle liquid laundry detergent. While my three layer masks thankfully didn't irritate my skin, after trying several different styles I ended up with only one that didn't fog up my glasses constantly. 

If you wear glasses you probably already know how frustrating this is. I did search for some ideas online. I found a foam product that was supposed to go along the sides of your nose and along your cheeks to prevent fogging up. Which in theory might sound good but would probably be very irritating to the skin. So the only thing I could think of that might help was to try adding an extra nose wire. So I ordered some extra nose wires, crossed my fingers and waited for them to arrive to see if my idea might help. However the wait ended up taking a couple of weeks longer than expected, it seems they were temporarily lost along the way. 

The first thing I did was take out a few stitches on one side of the existing nose wire on the mask. I left just enough space to allow me to place another wire in.  I folded the ends of each wire so they wouldn't poke threw the fabric. Then I slide it threw the hole and threaded it along the existing wire. Once it was all the way in I stitched the opening back up with matching thread. 


When I put it on I worked to shape the nose wires and once it and my glasses were in the right spot, it actually worked.  It's not a hundred percent (I'm guessing there is no such thing anyway) but it's so much better than it was before. I'm not constantly adjusting my mask around the nose which makes me very happy. After testing and wearing this several times I ended up adding an extra wire to all my fabric masks and it has really helped. It's also kind of nice to have more than one option too.

Comments

Popular Posts