Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

So Excited For My Conditioner And Styling Cream Find

  My search has been a long one (yup, we are talking over seven years) but I think I've finally found the products that are going to work. As you may or many not know from previous posts I've had some bad allergic reactions to both shampoo and conditioners. It was an uncomfortable, itchy, self deflating and generally horrible experience. After which I stopped using store bought Shampoo completely.  I've made my own shampoo for years now but every once in awhile I still try a new conditioner.  It doesn't happen often because I avoid many of the most common ingredients like fragrances (especially if they were high up on the ingredient list), colour/dyes, sulfates, phosphates, DEA and formaldehyde producers.

While I find it fairly easy to live without store bought shampoo, conditioner is a whole different thing.  I have curly hair that's in constant need of moisture. Finding anything that worked for both my hair and skin has been a long hard search.
In the last couple of years I have found one conditioner "Alaffia EveryDay Unrefined Shea Butter Conditioner, Vanilla Mint". They really do have an excellent product line. The only problem was that I could only find it in a gigantic bottle, and since I'm the only one using it, and only using it once (and occasionally twice) a week it expires by the time I get half way through the bottle. I hated wasting any product so I kept looking for other options that I might be able to use. 
And I finally found it, a Canadian company that has a fragrance free hair care line for curly hair (everything from waves to kinky curls). While I found the shipping to be a bit pricey I took a chance and tried it, since it was quite literally the only conditioner I could find that might work.  I was not disappointed.  They have a fantastic fragrance free Conditioner that I started using last month. Just like the other conditioner I use it only on my hair and not my scalp. But I can't tell you how happy I was, it was like a giant sigh of relief, no strong smells, no skin irritation, just much softer curls.  
Actually, you may have even come across one of their advertisements online, I know I have.
 
So here's the scoop, LUS Brand products are free of a lot of those things I want to stay away from. Things like Synthetic dyes, DEA, Propylene Glycol, Gluten, Sulfates, Silicones, Phthalates, Parabens, Paraffin and they are also cruelty free. 
They have both fragrance and fragrance free products and they have "full" ingredients lists for all their products.  Sometimes it can be hard to find the ingredients of a product so this is something I really appreciate. They say their products are dermatologist approved and tested. The Love Ur Curls line are all hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin. 
I've been using their fragrance free All-in-One Curl style for some time. A soft moisturizing styling cream that works so well with my hair. Again no skin irritation, it doesn't dry out my hair and it helps tame the frizz (thank you!). There are no crunchy curls, and it adds shine and much needed moisture. 
I will say that I did try their scented Conditioner (by accident....long story) and I didn't care for the smell and unfortunately it did irritate my skin.  But if you have sensitive skin you probably already know that fragrance tends to be the number one ingredient(s) that irritates your skin. So if you have the option to try any product that comes in contact with your skin try to opt for fragrance free if you can. It can make all the difference.
Since, as I previously mentioned shipping costs can be high, I have joined together with someone else to purchase a larger amount of products at one time (as shipping is free once reach a certain amount). So you may pay more all at one time, but you only have to purchase once or twice a year. So the cost works out to be fairly reasonable.
If you're interested in checking out this product line you can checkout the link to their site here LUS Brands website.  Currently the products are only available through this site.

If you would like to  check out the Alaffia product line well.ca offers them here well.ca or you can check out their US website alaffia.com. Several other places do offer their products and a quick google search can help you with that.


Comments

Popular Posts