Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Creative Ways To Hide The Clutter

 As it turns out I've been quit productive recently, which admittedly is always a great feeling. I managed to finish some repairs around the house including some drywall patching and painting, one blender (thank you YouTube) and even two successful diy's.

Most recently I came across an idea on Pinterest on how to hide a power bar using small doweling glued around a cut piece of wood.  So I thought, why couldn't I do something similar for small electronics and their accessories? You know, all those things that tend to clutter up the counter like charging cables. I'm the first to admit, clutter can sometimes drive me a little crazy. And, since I already had some doweling and a dollar store organizer/container I decided to gave it a try. I chose this particular organizer/container because it didn't taper in or out around the sides making it easier to attach the wood. 

First of all, I have to mention that I don't have a ton of tools to work with so my process sometimes requires a bit more creativity and time. Case in point, I used the wire cutter on my plyers to cut around and through the doweling, thankfully it's still sharp so it actually worked pretty well. Once I had enough pieces cut I used sandpaper to smooth out the rough cut edges. I attached each doweling using a hot glue gun all along the outside of the container.

The only issue I had was that the pieces I cut didn't turn out to all be exactly the same length, and that was because I used the wire cutter.  But as it turns out, that unevenness wasn't as big of a deal after all.  It was only slightly visible at the very bottom of the container and it was only noticeable if you actually picked it up to look at it. 

To finish it off, I cut out a piece of white cardboard to fit just inside the container to both hide the contents and reduce the dust. And yes it works great....and I kind of wish I had tried making it sooner.



The second diy I tried involved two wooden drawers that I picked up at the dollar store a few years ago. 

 This weekend I decided to try and put the two of them together. Since the feet on these were just glued into place I figured it shouldn't be to hard to remove.  So, using a utility knife I very, very carefully removed the four legs off one of the drawer unites. I lightly sanded off the rough spots and then glued the bottom of the first one to the top of the second. All said and done I'm super happy with the results.




Comments

Popular Posts