Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Organizing On A Budget


 I recently installed a closet organizer in my bedroom closet, made some extra shelves for shoes and created a place to hide the litter box and provide some much needed storage.
 I tend to be a creative person so I have lots of ideas but not unfortunately lots of money.  Which actually tends to make me even more creative since I'm forced to come up with unconventional solutions to meet my budget.
I  finally got around to making some extra shelving in a cabinet that had just two non-adjustable selves for storing all my shoes and boots.  Something I've been wanting to do for years. I began looking around to buy a couple of shelves to cut in half but found it would be at least $35.00. Yikes!
While I do have tools, I only have a hand saw so I was trying to keep the cuts to a minimum.  So when I couldn't find anything at the second hand stores I found a Closetmaid stackable two shelf organizer for just under $20 that I could make work. I would only have to make two cuts and I would even have a little left over for another project.
So after figuring all that out, I went searching for something inexpensive to make the legs out of.  I found some doweling (under $4) that I could easily cut and just screwed them into the bottom.  To my relief it turned out perfectly for what I needed.

Another project I have had on my mind was to somehow find a way to hide the litter box while still providing some storage for all those not so pretty pet supplies. I had a spot in the corner, where the closet door is always open so it already provides a partially hidden place for the litter box to go.
Again finding affordable material was a challenge.
After much searching I ended up ordering shelves from Ikea (unfortunately we don't have a store nearby) as well as some other sale items and the little white lamp shown in the picture (a bargain at just $3.99).
Even with the shipping it still cost me considerably less and I wouldn't have to cut anything just assemble.

Once I assembled the shelving I used some leftover removable shelf liner to line the insides where I placed the litter box. I then found a wood tray at a second hand store sanded and painted it white to match and placed it on top. 
 I have the litter box scoop, small broom and dust pan and extra cat items on the inside shelf. On top, the "Jacob" bag contains extra plastic bags for the litter box and extra treats.
All the items are now organized, hidden, and easy to clean, a definite improvement and it helps cut my cleaning time. Always a nice thing.

Looking for more organizational and DIY ideas check out our Pinterest Boards
DIY Home and Helpful Ideas For The Home




Comments

Popular Posts