Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Searching For Moisture And Frizz Relief For My Hair

Over the last few months I have been trying to find something else to either add to my homemade shampoo or something that would add moisture and help calm the frizz.
I had been using baking soda to wash my hair for many years. I have always had trouble finding shampoos and conditioners that didn't irritate my skin.  I really liked using baking soda for quite a few years, that is until my skin decided it no longer liked it.  So here I was once again trying to find a shampoo and Conditioner. Keeping track of brands and ingredients weeding out and researching what I was sensitive or allergic too.  That is until I had two back to back allergic reactions, not just seriously irritated skin but I lost hand fulls of hair. I was stunned, completely frustrated, and close to tears.  Now what do I do?
There was no way I was going to try going back to any kind of shampoo or conditioner after that.
Ingredients like fragrances (sometimes it's ok if it's at the very end of the ingredient list), colour/dyes, phosphates, sulfates, alcohol, and formaldehyde producers are my problem ingredients and they are everywhere.
Have you ever tried to find a shampoo without some form of alcohol in it's ingredient list?  Yup, virtually impossible!
So I started researching again, looking everywhere for homemade recipes.  Some worked for awhile and others not all all, until finally I combined a couple of recipes and made it into my own.  I combined Organic Green Tea, All Natural Aloe Vera Juice (the gel's that I could find just had too many other ingredients for me to use so I opted for the juice), and powdered butter milk.  I would also add a few drops of Almond, Apricot or Grape seed oil to add a bit of moisture. I also use these same oils on dry hair especially for the ends, and of course the never ending frizz. This has worked well over the last four years or so, but I'm finding now that I need more moisture and of course frizz control.
I tried several different styling products to see if this would help but it only seemed to make it worse.
 Finally a couple of weeks ago I came across "Pure Castile Soap (Almond)" at Winners.  I started adding a small amount to my homemade shampoo, which I use every other day.  By the second use their was a noticeable difference in the reduction of frizz and the look of dryness. My hair felt softer and my curls became more uniform again.
I'm always on the search for adding more moisture to my hair especially since I have naturally curly red hair. All of which on their own are naturally dry but combined even more so.  I'm hoping that this will continue to help and with any luck (fingers crossed) I will be able to find this same product again.  Locally I haven't seen it anywhere else. I did find it online on the US Amazon but unfortunately not the Canadian Amazon. So I have contacted the company and hopefully they will reply with some help.
I have found a couple of different brands of Almond Castile Soap at Amazon.ca.  I'm trying out "Dr. Natural, Pure Castile Soap, Almond" (for more information on this product check out their website at naturalisbetter.com).  Some of them however don't use almond oil but use almond fragrance, which is not what I'm looking for. Since almond oil is loaded with nutrients for your hair I would much rather have the real thing. 
.

Comments

Popular Posts