Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

A Dresser Makeover

This summer I finally took on a project that I've been wanting to do for some time.  I have this large dark brown dresser that I really wanted to lighten up.
The original dresser
So I rummaged around the extra paint (low or no VOC of course) in the garage and found just the right colour of white.
With old sheets covering most of the floor I began by lightly sanding from top to bottom. Then using a damp cloth I wiped and cleaned everything off, before I could finally get started with the actual painting.
After painting everything except the top I decided to do a little something different. So, with a bit more sanding and a whole lot of clean up I dry brushed the top with white paint. Then finished it off with a clear protective coat over top.  I was thinking that it would be easier to keep clean since this is where I do my makeup. I found the dark colour showed everything and thought the solid white might mark to easily.
I was able to find a nice self adhesive shelf lining/wall paper that I liked online and did all the drawers.
While I didn't particularly love the original handles (they were ok, but well over 10 years old) replacing them with new hardware just wasn't in my budget. So I went searching at a couple of second hand stores and found two inexpensive belts and used these as handles.
Thank you Pinterest!

My budget was pretty tight, no more that $25.00 so I was thrilled to put everything together for just under $20.00. And I really can't believe how much brighter and bigger the room feels.  Sure it would be amazing to get something brand new, especially after looking through the new Ikea catalog and seeing all those beautiful and inspiring ideas....sigh.
But that kind of dreaming just isn't going to happen anytime soon.  And since I'm a creative and somewhat handy person it was definitely worth the try.

The finished product.

 If you are planing this type of DIY, here are a few tips you might find useful if you have allergies or sensitivities.

- When using a sander always use eye protection and a face mask. Clean up well to help reduce all those fine particles in the air.
- If you need to, wear gloves when painting or using any adhesives to avoid skin irritation.
- Always paint in a well ventilated area even when using low VOC paint.
- After a paint project (or any progect using any type of chemical) keep the windows open for a day or two or use an air filter to help clean the air.

Looking for low or zero VOC paints?  Here are a few brands that you can find in Canada.

1. Benjamin Moore has low VOC as well as their zero VOC line called Natura/Aura.
2. Behr (Home Depot's brand) offers both low and zero VOC paints.
3. Sherwin-Williams has a line of zero VOC paints.


Looking for more DIY inspiration?  Check out our Pinterest boards at pinterest.ca

Comments

Popular Posts