Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Easy Hidden Cat Box DIY

If you have a cat or cats you know all about the messy littler box issue especially when you don't have a lot of space for it.
I freely admit it, I hate the mess and the trail of cat litter despite the mats that are supposed to catch it all.  I also just happen to have an older cat who likes to scratch at things around the box.  It doesn't matter if its the wall, plastic or cardboard it all gets badly scratched up. So I have been trying to come up with something with sides, that was a bit hidden that could do double duty as furniture.  I also wanted a way to contain most of the mess while still being easy to clean. And of course as always create something workable on a tight budget.

Remember this project?
A while back I made a bench for the end of my bed that included a pet bed and a little extra storage.

It took me awhile but I finally realized that this might actually work to put a smaller size littler box in and somehow attach a door or something to hide the not so pretty litter box.
So, I began measuring, remeasuring, scouring Ikea online from top to bottom (unfortunately there is no store near me) for options and prices.  Finally I decided on something I hoped would work.
I took a deep breath crossed my fingers and ordered my items.

So what did I end up with? Well I ordered 1 BESTA frame, 3 LURVIG place mats, 1 SKVALLRA desk pad and 1 TROFAST storage box.
When it arrived and I saw everything I began to feel a bit more confident in my idea.
After assembling the BESTA frame I attached 4 legs that I already had (instead of the ones that came with it to get it higher off the floor). Then using command strips I attached all 3 place mats to the inside walls to help protect them from my little scratcher.  I used a mat I already had on the bottom and then a smaller litter box inside on top of that.
I cut the desk pad to the length I wanted and attached it to the frame using Velcro strips to make it easier to remove when I needed to clean it.  I even used the smaller leftover piece of desk pad to attached to the wall (with the removable Velcro strips).  Again, a little extra protecting from my little four legged scratcher.
There is just enough room underneath to store all the essentials I need to clean the box too.
They are tucked out of sight and I ended up with extra space on top.  Perfect for a tray and a few extra things.
So all in all I would say this particular diy was a complete success and cleaning is faster and easier.  And the test of all tests, does the cat like it?  Yes, actually.  I only had to make one adjustment and add a few extra strips to the end place mat on the inside (did I mention I had a scratcher).
Other than that I am so appreciating that it's all now mostly hidden and isn't the first thing you see in the room, not to mention it also takes up less space.
Now on to the next project....





Comments

Popular Posts