Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

This Cozy Scarf Became An Even Cozier Pillow

 

One of the things I like to do from time to time is change the cover of a throw pillow or two. But of course I don't want to spend too much or be wasteful. So I like to look for inspiration and ideas along with items that you wouldn't typically think of to use. And since I'm creative but my sewing skills are limited I like to keep it as simple as possible. So when I spotted this scarf at the dollar store it gave me an idea. What if I could make one of those soft and cozy pillows with it?  The colour was very close to one of the colours in the hanging I had above the bed. 

  
I washed the scarf and then carefully undid all the seems so that I could lay it out flat. I placed one of the pillows I had onto the fabric to see if it would cover the whole pillow. It ended up being just a little on the small side but it did cover the front and sides nicely. There was just a bit of a gap at the back. Not ideal but is was something that I thought I could still work with.
           

I turned the material inside out and sewed the inside by hand. When that was done I turned it right side out again leaving a gap in the center. So, after a bit of brain storming and some helpful suggestions I ended up using an old pajama pant drawstring like a shoelace to tighten it at the back. To make the holes I used scissors to cut six slits in the fabric and then sewed around the edges. Much like you would when creating button holes.
Admittedly it's not all that pretty in the back, but it works and you can't see it from the front or the sides. It's also very easy to take on and off to throw it in the wash whenever it's needed. The fabric also happens to be easy care, so I can wash it in cold water, throw it in the dryer or hang it to dry.  
So I think this project adds a bit of much needed colour to the bedding. Although I would have preferred a nicer finish in the back it can at least still be easily altered to fit a smaller pillow or even make it back into a scarf (yes, I always like to keep my options open.) 
It also didn't take long for one of our furry family members to discouver it and claim it for her new favourite napping spot.               
   
Really you can use all kinds of things to create your own pillows. I've used different types of trim, embroidery thread and even yarn. You can also do different styles, colours or patterns on each side to give you more options. 
In the past I've purchased plain pillow cover (I've found some nice ones on sale anywhere from $2.99-$5.99) and added my own design.  You can use fabric, shower curtains, clothing, scarves, and even blankets to create a pillow.  It doesn't have to be expensive or complicated to add a little of your personality to a space.


  









    

Comments

Popular Posts