Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Creating an Alternative Light Fixture



You know when you try out one of those do it yourself projects for the first time and it actually turns out better than you hoped.   While that doesn't always happen, it's a pretty good feeling right? Even if it doesn't quiet end up working for what you originally planed it for.

It all started several months ago when I tried to order drum light shades to put over two bedroom ceiling lights. You know the ones I'm talking about, those plain not so pretty boob lights that are found in so many of our bedrooms and hallways. Well, after the usual long search I found the perfect ones at just the right price but they were out of stock. So I decided to wait.  After a few months I admittedly grew impatient and decided to try making one for myself.  I ordered two bamboo hoops and made a trip to my local dollar store. To my surprise it turned out even better than I expected. There was just one little problem. 

The three clips on the old light stuck out just enough so that they were noticeable. That's when I realized the measurements were off for the hoops by roughly half an inch, just enough to cause a problem.  My original plan had been to loop wire through the clips and through the top ring of the shade. Disappointed, I was struggling to find a way to still use the clips to secure it while somehow hiding them. I didn't want to have to remove the old light I just wanted to place the shade over it.

That's about the same time I finally received the notification that the shades I wanted to order were back in stock.  With my long wait almost over I quickly placed my ordered and set my project aside. 

I ended up attaching the new shade to the light clips using wire just as I had originally planed to do with the one I had made. The new shades provided an extra inch in size compared to the one I made, hiding the clips perfectly. It was a little tricky to attach but I love how it turned out and I didn't have to remove the old light. 


So in the end my drum shade turned out really well I just couldn't use it. Sadly I did carefully take it apart and set everything aside for another project. Because as you probably already guessed there will always be another project in my house.

 As a side note I did get one other small project done. I found a small three drawer storage piece on  clearance that I refinished. The front of the drawers were a kind of sparkle paper that I removed.  I  ended up sanding the whole thing and giving it a couple of coats of white paint. Now it's the perfect place for my cosmetic and small hair accessories.

Peeling off the layers.
The finished product.

         





Comments

Popular Posts