Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Storage tips to reduce holiday dust and dust allergies

 As I'm packing away the last of the Christmas decorations I thought this might be a good time to go over some storage ideas for those with allergies (and even those without). Because we could all probably use a little less dust and a little more organization in our lives.

So, for me at least the simplest and easiest thing you can do is store your items in bins with lids.  Keeping in mind that you want to use something that is easy to wipe off like plastic storage bins (something that the dust is less likely to stick to). And since I live in a more humid winter climate I also throw those silica packs (those ones you find in supplement bottles, and other items) into the bins. They are great at absorbing moisture and help to avoid musty smells, and since they are small they don't take up any valuable space. 

Like many people I know. I store most of my Christmas décor and decorations on shelving in the garage. So when I go to get them each year the first thing I do is dust off the tops of the bins before I bring them inside.  

An old under bed storage bin works great for storing long or oddly shaped items

For storing smaller items inside these bins I use old tins, and other boxes (some with lids) as well as sealed bags that are also easy to dust off. I donated all my old fabric organizers that I used to use a few years ago. By separating items into smaller containers or bags you can further reduce dust accumulation. It also allows for easy and quick dusting and unpacking.

As for larger items like wreaths, I store them all in a large sealed storage bag with pieces of cardboard between them.  The only thing I store inside are seasonal fabric items like table runners, towels etc... I store them all inside in a clear labeled bin with a lid.

 A couple of years ago we went through all the Christmas stuff organizing and cleaning everything. Donating items that were still in good condition that we no longer used and throwing out or recycling damaged or broken items. Cleaning and wiping down the storage bins and getting rid of all that old dusty tissue paper and Kleenex that we had previously wrapped all those ornaments in. Some of the Kleenex and paper had been in those bins a good ten years at least.  So, it was long overdue for a cleanup. I replaced it all with packing and tissue paper I had saved from online orders throughout the year.  All that cleaning and reorganizing didn't cost a thing because we just reused things we already had. 

There was one interesting suggestions I've read about recently, but haven't yet tried.  It's using a hairdryer (set on cool) to help remove dust from items like wreaths, or small artificial trees.  I thought this was a great idea, but I honestly think I would be doing this outside to avoid just spreading the dust around. It might even be a good option for dusting off our artificial Christmas tree.  I think I might have to give it a try.




Comments

Popular Posts