Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Closet Revisit (With Easy DIY To Keep Shedding Pets Out)

 This past week I began to put some of my colder weather clothing away as the seasons begin to change.  Since I don't have a big closet, this is the time I like to start to swap things out. And since I'm moving things anyway it's as good a time as any to give my closet a clean.  Round up all those dust bunnies hiding in the corners and do a quick look through.  Once everything's been dusted off I begin by folding some of my winter things away and bring out the long awaited warmer weather clothing. 

Of course while I'm doing this I also check their condition and try to remember how long it's been since I last wore it.  Does it needs to be repaired, washed or passed on to someone else? 
And since it seems at least for my winter cloths, pilling is one of those annoying yet ongoing issues. I can set these aside along with anything else that needs to be fixed.  I've tried several different ways to deal with the whole pilling issue, but I found that the best and easiest way was to use a razer to go over all the affected areas. Then take a lint roller and go over the fabric again to pick up all the pieces. It usually takes doing each step a few times but it definitely does work. By doing this I can usually extend their life for a few months or with a little luck another season.
When it comes to lint rollers they are an absolute staple in a house with pets. Because, yes pets shed and sometimes they like to curl up in strange places like the bottom of the closet among your clothes. Sometimes you don't even know they were there until you pull out a top or a pair of pants to find pet hair all over them.  Since I wear a lot of dark colours this used to drive me crazy. So a couple of years ago I came up with simple fix for one side of my closet. 

I used some excess white cardboard packaging to run along the bottom of the one side of my closet. I cut the pieces into the size I wanted and used clips to secure them together. Then I took an old tension rod and placed it along the top of the cardboard securing one end to the back wall of the closet and the other to the inside of the bifold door. The door is always open so it provided the perfect spot for the other end of the tension rod. Once the clothing is hung up it's not verry noticeable and it keeps my furry little friends out. I used to do something similar but without the tension rod. It worked great for awhile until they of course figured out how to move it. Adding the tension rod seems to have done the trick. It created a much sturdier barrier. It's no longer easily moved or nocked over by taking in or out a piece of clothing or moved by a determined pet.


Comments

Popular Posts