Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Making Sensitive Skin Jewellery On A Budget

 In my last post I talked about sensitive skin and jewelry.  But I also mentioned that I had started making my own jewelry again.  While there are some staple items you need when making jewelry (things like needle nose plyers) there are plenty of options for less expensive and creative ways you can save on some of these supplies. For example, to make rings or create a curve I used to use an old wooden spool to help bend and size my ring, ..and yes it actually worked really well. Especially since at the time, it wasn't something that I used on a regular basis. You can also save and reuse those little bags and boxes you sometimes get when purchasing items from the store or online. They can really come in handy for organizing all your stuff and it won't cost you a thing.


To find inexpensive supplies the dollar store really is your friend, you can find all kinds of things like small plyers, wire cutters and storage containers.  I've also found my local ReStore to be a good place to find supplies while supporting a good cause all at the same time.

While I used to have a plastic beading tray it wasn't something that would work for my limited space now. But what I could really use was something that would also double as a more solid work surface. 

What I ended up with was an inexpensive solution that turned out to work even better than I had expected. Since I have such a small space in which to work extending that work surface was key. I found a good size white plastic cutting board that had a soft none slip surface at the dollar store for $2.  I used a glue gun to apply a thick line of glue around all the edges.  This way those small items wouldn't be able to roll or fall off the sides as easily.  I also applied two small squares of the glue on one side of the hole that acts as a handle. A good place to securely place a couple of small items while I work.

By moving the clear containers forward...

and placing the cutting board on top, it gives me more work space.

I also found a couple of clear plastic adjustable compartment containers at just $4 a piece. They snap closed and can easily fit in a drawer, stacking one on top of the other to save space. I stacked them in the top drawer of a small dresser, so that when I pull the drawer out I can place my cutting board across it to create more usable work space.

As for jewelry findings Esty and Amazon were my main go to.  I was especially impressed with the selection available on Esty.  Not only was I able to get some really good deals, but some great products from small Canadian companies that I wouldn't otherwise have had access to. 








Comments

Popular Posts