Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Using Activated Carbon Air Filters In Your Windows

With what feels like another record allergy season for those of us with allergies, sometimes we resort to desperate measures. So yes this particular do it yourself project was started from pure desperation for some fresh air and open windows.

So far (at least up to the early weeks of July) the summer weather has been a bit of a bust here on Vancouver Island.  We've had a wetter than normal start to our summer and it seems like when we did get short stretches of dry weather everyone was out mowing there lawns. 

We do use indoor air purifiers but those aren't quite enough when you want or need to eventually open up a window.  I looked into window screens that could filter out allergens but quickly decided that just wasn't going to be an option for us at the moment.  Then I found some ready made frames that used activated carbon filter pads that could be used in a window.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any in stock anywhere and quickly gave up on that idea to buy one.

(Here's an example of one of the window filters I found on line, this particular one is from the US  Home Depot website:  Activated Carbon Passive Window Air Purifier )

Since you can actually buy cut to fit activated carbon filter pads I thought why couldn't I just make my own frame? Try something simple and basic to see if it could actually work and help with our allergies.

So yes, you guessed it I gave this a try.  At first I thought I would like to try using light weight garden stakes to make a frame, unfortunately it turned out that they were hard to find and frequently out of stock.  So I decided to try and use something I already had, cardboard.  
I cut 2 inch wide strips, for both sides of the frame and taped 2 together for each side. I used a left over garden stake that I wasn't using (about 10" or so) for the bottom. I cut the carbon filter pad to the size I needed. Using adhesive Velcro, I attached the glue side to the cardboard and the Velcro side to the filter pad. 

(Tip: I did end up widening 2 of the 3 frames I made once I ordered more filter pads.  At first I tried attaching the additional piece using Velcro which didn't seem to work that well. Eventually I ended up using a larger needle with black thread to hand sew them together using wide stitches.) 

 

It works somewhat like a loose frame, sitting just inside the window frame. Since our windows close from the side I close the window until it fits snugly up against the cardboard sides.  This width allows the windows to still be locked in place and to place a small fan in the window. 

And the results? It not only worked, but it brought some much appreciated allergy relief!  

So, now that I know it works. I would like to make a few improvements, like make the cardboard thicker (ie. add another layer or two) and add a top piece in the same thickness. Originally I was working with mostly what I already had (with the exception of the Velcro) so I only used a bottom piece in addition to the sides. My goal in using the Velcro was to make it easy to replace the filter pads when needed.

So, what d you actually look for when buying a carbon air filter for something like this?  Basically the more carbon used the better and the thicker the filter pad the better.  The first filter pads I purchased were slightly thinner than the second one.  Suggesting that they probably won't last quiet as long as the thicker ones. But since we all found that they still helped to relieve our allergy symptoms it wasn't a big issue for us.  Of course this all depends on your type of allergy and your environment, carbon filters won't filter absolutely everything.  But for us in the end, it actually helps. 


Comments

Popular Posts