Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Entertaining And Food Allergies

So you're having a diner and you've invited a few guest who have food allergies.  Or maybe you've been invited to dinner and you are the one with food allergies. But just because you have allergies doesn't mean that you have to miss out.
 If you're the one inviting someone to a meal, ask them if there are any foods they can't have so you can work around their needs. You can even ask them to bring a favourite dish that they can eat and share with everyone.
Unfortunately some reactions can be quite severe and they may feel nervous or uncomfortable eating something someone else has prepared. It likely has absolutely nothing to do with you and everything to do with past experiences. So maybe they would feel more comfortable or prefer to bring their own food? Something that works for them that can be served along with everyone else. This way everyone can sit down to a meal, feeling safe in what they are eating and they can all enjoy themselves.  No matter what option you choose communication is important to relieve worries or any possible misunderstandings.

I stopped eating out at restaurants quite a few years ago after several horrible allergic reactions, even after explaining my allergies and being reassured that they would be extremely careful.
For me the risk is simply not worth it, so now I only have beverages in restaurants when we gather for a meal. For me its the people and the conversation not the food thats important so I just eat before I go.
Thankfully most of my family and friends are understanding and not offended when I bring my own food to a meal.  I can adjust the food to my needs (as I also have a digestive disorder) so that I won't have any issues and can enjoy the moment and the people around me. I mean really, who wants to have to leave early because they are feeling aweful?  Definitely not me!

Some ingredients can be easily substituted if someone has a sensitivity or allergy to it. So I thought I would share a few simple and easy examples below.
  •  Milk - Almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, hemp milk
  •  1 Egg - 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 mashed banana.
  •  All Purpose Flour - Equal amounts Flour Substitute such as Cloud 9 All Purpose Baking Mix, Robin Hood All Purpose Flour Blend, and Bobs Read Mill All Purpose Baking Mix.
  • 1 cup White Sugar - 2/3 cup agave or brown rice syrup, 3/4 honey, 1 cup dates (soaked for one hour & puree with 1 cup liquid), 1 cup mashed ripe banana, 1 tsp stevia
  • Cocoa powder - Carob powder

For more substitution ideas visit our Pinterest board Recipes









Comments

Popular Posts