Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Updated Pumpkin Pie Recipe

We celebrated Thanksgiving last weekend here in Canada and I hope you were able to take a moment to enjoy yours.
For all our American friends and family that celebrate next month, an early Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Well I decided to try something a little different with my pumpkin pie recipe this year.  I shared my original recipe way back in May 2017.

 My Pumpkin Recipe
1 large can of pure cooked pumpkin
1  12oz can evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed milk)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 2 egg whites)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice, cloves & ginger
1 tsp sugar free vanilla

Mix canned pumpkin, spices & applesauce.  Then add canned milk and vanilla, mix well.  
I poor the mixture into glass baking dish and bake for about 55 minutes at 325F in my convection oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let it cool, then place it in the fridge.
Serve cold with real whip cream (Sometimes I add a small amount of sugar free vanilla to my whip cream but most of the time I don't add anything at all to it.) and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.


So how did I change it?
Well, I decided to add a pecan crust to the bottom.  Normally I would have finely chopped the nuts but since I didn't have quiet enough to do that so I just coarsely chopped them instead.  Mixing in a bit of butter and pouring it all into the bottom of the dish.
I also added a heaping teaspoon of organic brown rice syrup to the pumpkin mixture. (You can now find it at most grocery and health food stores.)
Then served it all with real whip cream and sprinkled with a little cinnamon.

I'm happy to say that I think it turned out very well.  Next time I will make sure I have enough nuts so that I can make a proper crust to make it even better. The Pecans and pumpkin really do taste great together.

Do you have a favourite Thanksgiving recipe?  Are you looking for some ideas for Thanksgiving? 
You can always check out our boards on Pinterest, Recipes and Thanksgiving.



Comments

Popular Posts