Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Walking Even When You Cant Get Outside

 

I'm not going to lie, the cooler months where I live can be tough, especially as our air quality can be pretty bad. It's not just the wood smoke it's also all those other things that people burn like garbage and treated wood it all combines to creat some pretty bad air.. And if you are like me and many others who have allergies or issues with pollution, getting outside can prove to be a big challenge. 

The one thing I have always enjoyed doing is walking especially somewhere in nature. Nature trails, walks near the ocean, parks and walkways where you can relax and just enjoy everything around you.  Unfortunately that just isn't happening like it used to. As our local air quality has decreased through the years I hear about more and more people forced to stay indoors, even on beautiful sunny days because the "bad air" makes them feel terrible.  Everything from common symptoms like headaches, irritates eyes, ears and throat to nose bleads, irritated skin, heavy chest or trouble breathing. 

So until the air gets better and so do my allergies one of things I enjoy most is off the table. For someone who really enjoys being outside on a nice day it's a really tough pill to swallow. I miss the exercise, the mood boost that it gives and all the wonderful things you can see along the way. I see people walking by my house and long to be doing the exact same thing. I sometimes think it may be winter but it's not raining and no ones mowing their lawn I should be out there too.....such is life with allergies.

It just fits at the top of the stairs.

So this past year I finally bought a basic folding treadmill.  We don't have a lot of space for one so it took me a while to find both something affordable and something that could work in our space. As you can see from the picture we have a little alcove at the top of the stairs. I had originally planed to keep it under the bed but it turned out that folding it was easy, fold the handles down wasn't. So since it gets used regularly it just seemed impractical to deal with each time you wanted to use it, so out in the hallway it went.

Admittedly climbing on to the treadmill is not the same as going outside for a walk but actually doing it does make me feel a whole lot better.  I usually put on my favourite podcast or music to help keep me going. Although lately it's been a podcast because as I become absorbed in the story and suddenly twenty minutes or more has gone by. (I do love it when that happens.) That helps motivate me especially on those tough days and hopefully it keeps me motivated until I can get outside again.

Another part of the struggle these days of course is that many of us are spending more time at home with limited person to person contact outside our own homes. It can absolutely drag our spirits down and leave us more tired, prone to over eating, and well, just not moving enough. Then you throw bad weather and outdoor pollution into the mix and you begin to feel a sense of defeat. Yup I think that pretty much sums it up when we struggle through those tough days. 

So while the treadmill is helping, I find that making a conscious effort to keep positive makes a huge difference. The first and most important thing for me is to limit the news, especially all the negative "stuff". It can easily begin to wear you down with the constant negativity of things that are completely out of your control.  The same goes for social media, your favourite shows, podcast or books. Making a conscious effort to watch or read something you enjoy or something that makes you laugh.  Never underestimate what a really good laugh or inspirational story can do for you.  

I also find that keeping some kind of schedule is extremely helpful. Keeping regular meal times, work hours, exercise, and sleep schedules all help us to maintain our rhythm.

 Personally I enjoy a good project, especially if it's something that I enjoy or will find rewarding. Sometimes sanding and repainting that old dresser can not only make it look better, make your space look better but gives you a fabulous sense of accomplishment. I also like to learn new things and with all the wonderful access most of us now have we can generally just do a search for that "something" and find out more. Just think of the possibilities.....

 



Comments

Popular Posts