Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Making A Plant Stand Into A Side Table

So, I've had this little plant stand forever. I originally picked it up to use as a side table for the bed.  I had a very small space and it was the one thing that I could find that actually fit perfectly in the space at the time. Since then it's had several uses over the years but to be honest I never really loved the top of it all that much.  

It's currently being used as a side table in the living room, offering just enough space for a good size coffee cup, but not much more. It really would be so much more useful if only it had a bit more space on top, and I was thinking that a round top would fit better in the space. Spending money on a new side table really didn't make sense (Sure it would be nice, but I have more important things to spend my money on right now.) but improving on what we already had, absolutely made sense especially if I could do it for under twenty dollars.

So, the challenge was on. I looked and priced out all kinds of options locally and online and eventually decided on a 15 inch bamboo Lazy Susan at Ikea.  At $16.99 it was by far the best deal I could find and the size was perfect. All I would need was a screwdriver, ratchet and some heavy duty double sided tape. All of which I already had.


I started with the lazy susan, removing the bolt and sliding it off the bottom piece, then I removed the remaining hardware from the bottom by unscrewing the three screws. It was a simple process that left a completely clean flat surface.


I used alien tape (a clear heavy duty double sided tape) all along the top of the plant stand covering the majority of the top.  I placed the bamboo top on the floor and then carefully placed the plant stand in the centre and pressed firmly to secure it in place. Once secure, I flipped it right side up again to make sure it was good and stable.

And the result...well, there's plenty of room to fit more than just a coffee cup, and I can honestly say I like this top a whole lot better.  So all in all, I would say this diy was a success and I came in just under budget.








Comments

Popular Posts