Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

An Update to "Using Activated Carbon Air Filters In Your Windows"

 Last July (July 15, 2022 blog post, ""Using Activated Carbon Air Filters In Your Windows") I started on a creative diy to help with our households allergies. We really wanted to be able to open up a few windows more often, especially during the summer.

 Even though we do use indoor air purifiers they aren't always enough when you want or need to eventually open up a window.  I looked into window screens that could filter out allergens but quickly decided that just wasn't the easiest or most affordable option for us. I did find some ready made frames using activated carbon filter pads but they were all out of stock. So, since you can actually buy cut to fit activated carbon filters I decided to try making my own frame? 

 

Although my search for something sturdier than cardboard didn't pan out. I decided to still give it a try, since I already had plenty of it on hand.

I cut 2 inch wide strips, for both sides of the frame and taped 2 pieces together for each side. I used a left over garden stake that I wasn't using for the bottom. I cut the carbon filter pad to the size I needed. Using adhesive Velcro, I attached the glue side to the cardboard and the Velcro side to the filter pad. 

It works somewhat like a loose frame, sitting just inside the window frame itself. Since our windows close from the side, I close the window until it fits snugly up against the cardboard sides.  This width allows the windows to be locked in place while still being able to place one of our fans in the window.                                                       

And the results? It not only worked, but it brought some much appreciated allergy relief!  

And after successfully using them all last summer I did decide to make a few improvements.

 I removed the wood on the bottom and added a top and bottom using 2 inch wide strips of cut cardboard. Some of the Velcro strips worked well while others seemed to have worn out, so I used small binder clips to re-secure all the corners.  I also attached one or two larger binder clips on one side, pushing one side of the clip out and one in. This helped them to stay in place if it was a bit windy outside.  I vacuumed them off when I started using them again this year and they are still doing a great job of reducing pollen, smoke etc.  It's allows us to open our windows sooner and have them open longer (with the filters in them of course) than we could have otherwise.

 In total I made three of them. I ordered the carbon air filter online. It came packaged and folded, but once unfolded it resembled a good size piece of fabric that I was easily able to cut to size. All in all it won't filter absolutely everything but it sure can help. It was exactly the solution we were looking for and it was budget friendly, so all in all this diy was a definite success. I only wish I had tried to make them sooner.



Comments

Popular Posts