Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Sugar Free Chocolate

 Since this post falls just after Valentines day and on Family Day in our province, I seem to just have chocolate on my mind. (Or it could be all those clearance sales on Valentine's chocolate going on right now.) So, I thought I would re-share two simple sugar free chocolate recipes plus a little something extra. 


Easy Homemade Chocolate

Slowly melt chunks of unsweetened baking chocolate (200g bar) in a double boiler or in the microwave. Once completely melted add brown rice syrup to taste (2-3 heaping Tbsp) as well as 1tsp of sugar free vanilla. I also sometimes also add a little cinnamon to bring out the flavour of the chocolate.
Remove from heat and add whatever you like or whatever your diet allows. It could be nuts, dried unsweetened berries, unsweetened coconut, or all of the above.  Mix everything together and poor it onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and spread it out.
Let it cool in the fridge.  Once cold, break it into pieces and place in a sealed container in the fridge.

Note: If you're adding a lot of dried fruit you can usually reduce the amount of sweetener you add.


Chocolate Nut Butter Bites

Mix brown puffed rice with your favourite nut butter.  I like to warm up the nut butter slightly in the microwave to make it easier to mix in with the rice.  I never measure when I make this, I just mix enough of each so that it sticks together well.  Once mixed set it aside in the fridge.  Once it's cold you can use your hands to form the mixture into small balls. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and then place them back in the fridge.

Using a double boiler (or your microwave) slowly melt a 200g unsweetened baking chocolate bar.  Once it's melted add 2-3 tablespoons of brown rice syrup or your preferred sweetener to taste, and 1 teaspoon of sugar free vanilla. Mix well.

Using a spoon dip the nut butter balls into the melted chocolate and place them back on the wax paper.
Once they're all done let them cool again in the fridge.  Once the chocolate has set you can layer them one on top of the other with wax paper in a sealed container.

Note:  The only ingredients I actually measure are for the baking chocolate (200g), the 2-3 Tbsp of brown rice syrup, and 1 tsp of sugar free vanilla.  Everything else always varies depending on what I have on hand, how much I want to make, and the size of the nut butter balls.

My Quick Chocolate Craving Mix.

Ok, so this is my lazy craving mix. Every once in a while I splurge and order my favourite sugar free chocolate bar, Giddy Yoyo Organic Chocolate Bar Hundo. I just dip a chunk or three (but who's counting..) in my favourite nut butter. Or I'll even occasionally mix in a little brown rice syrup with the nut butter for a little added sweetness.  

For more Valentines ideas including ones that are not food related, check out Life allergies Pinterest board "Valentines Day"

Comments

Popular Posts