Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Allergies and Skincare

     Several years ago I was living in an area for only a short time when I discovered I was extremely sensitive to the water.  As a result I had to stop drinking, cooking, brushing my teeth, bathing, and washing my hair with this water and go out and purchase water to use instead.   Unfortunately I still had to do my laundry with this water so I was still being exposed.

   I eventually became so sensitive that I could no longer use store bought shampoo, conditioners, or even the most gentle skin cleansers, etc... .  I couldn't even rinse my hands under my own tap water because they would begin to sting and become very itchy, red and irritated.  


   I inevitably turned to using simple, natural ingredients for a cleanser like oats and honey until I became sensitive to those as well. When I couldn't find anything else to use, I used only water for two long years.

   Eventually I finally ended up moving and my symptoms became much better but I had become overly sensitive. 


   It wasn't until earlier this year while expressing my frustration with my friendly local cosmetician that I finally found some hope and relief.  

She suggested a cleanser for me to try and gave me a sample of La Roche-Posay cleanser (Toleriane).  I was skeptical but I decided to give it a try.  It passed the patch test, then two weeks of daily use and still things were going well.  I was almost afraid to hope, since two weeks was usually the time a reaction would occur.  
But to my surprise and relief after two months it was still going well. 
Finally after all these years I found something I could actually use!
I could barely contain my joy...


If you're having trouble with your sensitive skin, like I do you really have to pay attention to product ingredients.  Avoid the well known ingredients that irritate skin and look for the "Sensitive Skin" labels and talk to the cosmeticians and those other helpful people in the Health shops.  

   Unfortunately it may come down to basic trial and error to see what your skin likes and dislikes.

     The Canadian Dermatology Association has a list of recognized products on their website that you might find helpful.

You can find the list here  Recognized Products, Canadian Dermatology Association



  So what are the types of things or ingredients we should try and 

  avoid with allergies?


                             Some known Product ingredients to avoid are:

                Fragrances, Perfume, Preservatives, Alcohols, menthol, 
               Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic acid, Retinoids, Sulfates,  
              Sodium Benzoate, FD&C Colors, Pigments, Linalool, 
              Geraniol, Cinnamal, Citronellol, LimoneneEugenol
               Lemon, Lime, lemon grass, Lemon balm, Bergamot, 
               Arnica, Amonia, Orange, Tangerine, Grapefruit, mint, 
               Peppermint, Spearmint, CinnamonFennel, Clove, Camphur,  
               Coriander, Oakbark, Geranium, horsetail, Rose flower extract,  
               Lavender oil, Bergamot oil, Ylang-ylang oil, Essential oils, 
              Menthoxypropanediol, Menthyl Acetate, DMDM hydantoin, 
              Tosylamide formaldehyde resin, Propylene glycol, 
              Quaternium-15, p-Phenylenediamine, Imidazolidinyl urea, 
              Amidoamine, Methyl  methacrylate,          
              Glyceryl thioglycolate, Sodium C14-16 olefin sulfate, 
              Sodium lauryl sulfate, TEA-lauryl sulfate, Lanolin alcohol
              Methylchloroisothiazolinone/methylisothiazolinone,    
.
  •   .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Other things to avoid when skin is sensitive:
  • Abrasive scrubs (ex; ones with nut shells)
  • Scrub mitts, Loofahs
  • Very cold or hot water , steaming
  • Bar soaps and bar cleansers
  • Astringents and Toners containing alcohol






Some helpful resources and product information:

                                     Paula's Choice, Fragrance & Skincare: Smells Like Trouble! 
                         Skincare-news.com 7 Top Beauty Brands For Sensitive Skin
                         A-Z Allergies, Allergy New Zealand


Comments

Popular Posts