Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Allergic to Sugar


Years ago I realized I was having a reaction to anything made with Sugar Cane. That includes white/brown sugar, molasses, splenda, sucrolose and many other names that it goes by. When I decided to do some research I discovered that Sugar Cane is considered a Grass....and yes you guessed it I'm allergic to grass.
So when allergy testing confirmed this it all began to make sense. Unfortunately it was an ingredient found in more things than I could have imagined.

I started looking at all ingredient labels, and found it in all the obvious places as well as in some brands of Salt, in medications, and supplements it seemed to be everywhere and in everything.
Eventually I learned that some other types of sugar also bothered me.  Banana's, honey, and corn syrup were now also included on my allergy list.  But other fruit and fruit juices along with brown rice syrup were safe to eat.  I never cared for artificial sweeteners, or wanted to use them so they were never an option for me.

On the plus side though. this allergy has forced me into an even healthier diet and I've learned how to incorporate safe ways to sweeten foods.  I've also found that I crave sweets less and enjoy them far more when I do have them.


There are many healthy options for sugar substitutes such as:
Agave syrup        Maple syrup
Stevia                   Applesauce
Cinnamon            Dates

For more information on Sugar Allergies:
Livestrong.com article: Allergy to Cane Sugar, Not Refined Sugar
Alive.com article : Good Sugars, Bad Sugars
.

For more information on sugar substations in baking check out these sites.
Baking With Sugar And Sugar Substitutes
Sugar-free baking
How to Substitute Sugar


Comments

Popular Posts