Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Finding A Moisturizer That Works For Your Sensitive Skin

The dry skin season has come around once again. But actually finding a moisturizer that works when you have sensitive or allergic skin can sometimes prove to be a very long search.

The best advise I've ever received is to keep it simple, the fewer the ingredients the better.
Stay away from the common irritating ingredients such as Fragrances (synthetic or natural), Sulfates, Parabens. Alchols, Acids such as BHA and AHA, and Retinol.
Essential oils and Emollients such as Lanolin can also be irritating for many people as well.

The good news is that there are some great product lines for Allergic, Sensitive and Intolerant skin. I've listed a few of them below:

La Roche-Posay - laroche-posay.ca
Avene - avene.ca

My favourite facial moisturizers:

Impruv cream: For dry sensitive skin.  It's hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, non-irritating, and does not contain dyes, perfumes or preservatives.

La Rouche-Posay, Toleraine moisturizers:  For dry sensitive skin is Fragrance, Paraben and Preservative free.

My favouite body moisturizers:

Curelle Hand And Body Lotion:   Curelle on facebook.  ( Canadian line of unscented, vegan, gluten-free lotions, styling aids, shampoo, conditioners and specialty bodycare products.)

Cocoa butter:  Especially great on my dry hands and lips and it smells great too!

Other product lines that offer sensitive skin products include: Clinique, Eucerin and Burts Bee. 

Remember that whenever trying a new product it's best to do a patch test. 
Personally, I patch test on an arm or my stomach first for a couple of days (somewhere typically no one else is going to see if there's a reaction).  Then if it's a cream or lotion for my face I then do a small patch test on my face for a week or so.  Then if that goes well I apply it to the rest of my face. Usually if I can make it past two weeks of continious use without a reaction I should be able to use the poduct.


Further information:


The article "Stopping Unwanted Reactions to Skincare Products" at paulaschoice.com.

Curelle products are avaiable at Canadian Health Food Stores and some Hair Salons.
.
Impruv cream (aka Stiefel Impruv Derma membrane Structure Cream) ia available at London Drugs, Shoppers Drug Mart, and Amazon.






Sources:  http://www.everydayhealth.com/pictures/skin-care-ingredients-allergic-reactions/#06
http://goweloveit.info/health-and-fitness/6-skin-care-ingredients-to-avoid-and-what-to-use-instead/
http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/sensitive-skin/_/stopping-unwanted-reactions-to-skincare-products

Comments

Popular Posts