Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Mineral Sunscreen, Sun Protection For Sensitive Skin

Even though I have auburn hair (aka red head) I don't actually burn that easily.  I have always tried to be careful not to get burned despite my sensitive skins dislike of most sunscreens. But I suspect my being a vegetarian (all those vitamins and antioxidants) has helped naturally boost my skins tolerance to the sun. I also use mineral powder foundation on my face which provides some additional sun protection too. So when I actually thought about when was the last time I actually had a sunburn, I realized that it's been well over 10 years.  Woohoo for me!
Mineral Sunscreens are truly the best for sensitive skin and are naturally broad spectrum.  This type of sunscreen begins working right away thanks to the Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide that block and reflect UVB and UVA rays. They are generally hypoallergenic and allergic reactions are rare in comparison to chemical sunscreens.
Chemical sunscreens use chemicals (of course) such as Octinoxate and Oxybenzone to absorb into the skin (and eventually into the bloodstream). They can take at least 20 minutes to actually become effective and some of these chemicals may cause hormone disruption and allergic reactions.
Dr. Axe recommends staying away from these chemicals found in some sunscreens.

  • Cinoxate
  • Dioxybenzone
  • Homosalate
  • Menthyl anthranilate
  • Methoxycinnamate
  • Parabens
  • Para amino benzoic acid
  • Phenylbenzimidazole
  • Oxybenzone
  • Octocrylene
  • Octyl salicyclate                                                                                                           

I have read repeatedly that spray sunscreens should be used with caution because of the risk of inhaling the fumes. The fumes can cause lung irritation, and application can prove inconsistent at best. The contents are also flammable when still wet and near an open flame. So barbecuing and applying spray sunscreen at the same time is probably not a good idea.
More testing is needed to determine what the lasting effects may be of these chemicals, but personally with all the chemicals already out there who needs more.
There are a growing number of options available in mineral sunscreens.  I've listed some of the more easy to find products at your local drug store below.

- Avene
- Clarins
- Neutrogena
- Aveeno
- La Roche Posay

If you would like to learn more or want to find safe sunscreens check out ewg's page Sunscreen 101 .  It's a fantastic resource for all things sunscreen.



Sources;
consumerreports.org/cro/2014/06/best-sunscreen-for-babies-and-kids/index.htm
mineralfusion.com/blogs/news/chemical-vs-mineral-spf
ewg.org/sunscreen/report/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/
ewg.org/sunscreen/
draxe.com/75-of-sunscreens-are-toxic-what-to-do-instead/

Comments

Popular Posts