Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Sunless Tanning Products

So I have always been a big fan of sunless tanning products, well except in the beginning when they were that funky orange colour.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers those days?
I had been using Vichy sunless tanning lotion on my face for the last few years until they changed their formula.  I started using Lise Watier, Teint Boro Bora Self-Tanning Gel last year.  It's lightly scented, made for sensitive skin and I've never had any streaks.
I was also using Jergens odorless sunless tanning foam for my arms and legs until they stopped making it.  It was so nice to use something without that smell that tells everyone, hey I'm wearing self tanner!
I had actually stocked up but unfortunately I ran out last year and now I'm trying to find a replacement.  So I recently started using Bioderma, Photoderm Moisturizing Tanning Spray, it has a light sent (not over powering like so many), and is great for sensitive skin.  I'm just not the biggest fan of sprays as they can get a bit messy.

I did try Hawaiian Tropics self tanner last summer, it didn't irritate my skin, left it feeling supper soft, worked well with no streaking. Unfortunately the smell became so strong and over powering that I ended up having to wash it off.  If they ever make an unscented version I will be the first inline my legs have never felt so soft....but oh that smell.  Other people in my family didn't like the smell either as for our animals they wouldn't come near me until I washed it off.  So as it turns out I wasn't the only one who hated the smell.

If you're not that familiar with sunless or self tanners there are a few helpful things you should know.
First exfoliate your skin before applying, you want to make sure you get rid of any dry skin so that it can go on evenly.  I use disposable gloves when I apply (easier than having to scrub your hands after each application).
Second, start from the ground up.  I begin my applying lotion in circular motions from the knee down then from the top of the leg/hip down, making sure to blend in really well.  Then to the torso, arms and continuing up the body.  Again using mostly circular motions and blending in really, really well.
Try to lighten the amount of tanner at joints (elbows & knees) as they can tend to absorb colour more. Sometimes I add a small amount of moisturizer just in those areas before I put on the tanner and that seems to work for me.
Also after you apply let it dry as longs as possible before putting on clothing. I try to wear dark colours on these days to avoid any possibility of staining light coloured clothes.
If this is your first time applying this kind of product don't make your first try just before (like the day before or the day of ) an event.  Just in case you haven't got the technique down just yet and have a rather noticeable oops and there's no tome to fix it.  Yup, you guessed it this little bit of advice definitely comes from experience.

Other sunless tanning products that get repeatedly great reviews are St Tropez, Clinique and Clarins (although they run rather pricey).
For more information on some of these sensitive skin products check out:
Lise Watier, Teint Boro Bora Self-Tanning Gel   -  Teint-Bora-Bora-Self-Tanning-Gel
Bioderma, Photoderm Moisturizing Tanning Spray - Photoderm-Moisturizing-Tanning-Spray
La Roche-Posay Autohelios Cream-gel, Moisturizing Self-Tanner - laroche-posay.ca
Vichy, Adeal Soleil Self Tanner - www.vichy.ca
Avene, Moisturizing Self-tanning Lotion - www.eau-thermale-avene.ca



Sources:
totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/best-self-tanners
marieclaire.com/beauty/makeup/g1794/best-self-tanners/
bestproducts.com/beauty/g390/best-self-tanners-for-glowing-skin/


Comments

Popular Posts