Skip to main content

Featured Post

Fragrance Free Hair Colour? Yes Please.

Preservatives In Our Food


Admittedly I did buy prepared foods from time to time, but I always thought if I cant pronounce it or if it's a chemical do I really want to eat it?  Well the answer for me was a great big NO!
                                     
Saying
 no to Preservatives
When you begin to learn what some of these Preservatives are and what prolonged use and possible health concerns can result, well then it becomes a no brainer for me.  Especially if you are also sensitive or suffer from an allergic reaction when you eat them.
So, personally for me if it's not natural I don't want to put it in my body.  There are enough harmful things around us that we can't control or avoid, but this is something that I can control.  This can benefit my health and the health of my family.  
So why wouldn't I ?


You can find preservatives in many prepared foods.  They are used of course to prolong shelf life but they can also be allergens.

 Some Preservatives you might want to avoid include:
  • Polysorbate 60,65,80 - Affects the immune system, potential life threatening allergic reactions can occur, and possibly infertility.                    
  • BHA & BHT  - (butylated hydroxyanisole, butylated hydroxytoluene) is a possible carcinogen and affects liver & kidney function.                                
  • Sodium Benzoate - Allergic reactions and Carcinogen                               
  • TBHQ ((tertiary butylhyroquinone) vomiting & nausea, tinnitus and linked to Cancer.                                                                                               
  • Potassium Sorbate - Links to DNA damage.                                                    
  • Nitrates - When combined with stomach acid produces Nitrosamines, and this has been linked to Cancer.                                                                   
  • Sulfites/Sulphites - Rashes, bowel irritation, headaches, allergic reactions. It can cause constriction in the airways of some Asthmatics. 

There are of course some healthier and natural preservatives. 
They include:
  •  salt
  •  sugar
  • vinegar
  • alcohol
  • freezing
  • boiling
  • dehydrated
  • citrus
  • ascorbic acid.

Sources:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/30/worst-food-ingredients.aspx
http://naturallysavvy.com/eat/7-scary-food-additives-to-avoid
http://www.foodadditivesworld.com/preservatives.html

Comments

Popular Posts